Book Haul: Black & White
Friday, September 13, 2013


Here are the books I have read over the past month. Most of them are pretty serious so I got a chick lit - I've got your number- to balance things out a bit.

Worst of the lot was The Magicians by Lev Grossman. I hated it, the magic world created was so superficial. I had absolutely no wish to have any magical powers whatsoever while reading this. 

Casuaul Vacancy by the book goddess J.K. Was launched to a lot of hype. However, too many storylines plus nothing much going on made it a rather unexciting read. To be honest, I haven't finished it because it was a pain to read. But I have plans to finish it, in the future. Apparently the end is rather a twist from what I have garnered from the reviews yes?

I really like I've got your number by Sophie Kinsella. Always have been a fan of her books and this was no exception. It was rather lacking if you compared it to the shopaholic series but its a nice and easy read especially for a brain dead cubicle rat like me. After all day reading lengthy boring documents, this is a nice change easily absorbed. Typical storyline but I love the way she writes. 

The wicked girls by Alex Marwood was kind of a disappointment. I had quite high hopes of the book talking about some deep dark evil thing the 2 girls did but it turned out to be pretty meh. And the crime was unintentional which makes it less evil. I was looking for a book that was crawling through the minds of twisted killers and this is not a book about it. Turns out it was more of people trying to run away and bury their past as they try to live continued 'normal lives'. It was an alright book but not a fan because of my disappointment. 

Before I go to sleep by S J Watson had a really nice twist at the ending which I really like. The book can be easily read in one sitting which is a good thing. 

I think my favourite out of the bunch had to be The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith. Mystery novels are a favourite genre of mine. While nobody can beat Arthur Conan Dolye's Sherlock Holmes series, I can always appreciate a good storyline with so many clues woven so intricately into details of the surroundings.    I hate it when I can guess the killer or criminal even before it is revealed and this does it wonderfully. I was totally cluless on whodunnit. Fabulous! This is what I love about J K Rowling's books. They are so perfectly planned out such that little details earlier on had such a significant meaning later in the book. The characters are midly interesting enough although I wished it explored more into the female protaganist's life and not made her out to be the perfect and efficient office worker.

That concludes the books I have finished in the last month. Best books are those that I can finish through one straight read because I absolutely cannot put it down and it lacks boring portions for my mind will wander off. 

Labels:

[ 0 comments ]



Go to older posts

Go to newer posts